May 28, 2006

pure imagination

MP3: Pure Imagination (2.6 mb)

This entry's mp3 was written by Anthony Newley and Leslie Bricusse for the film Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. Jeff Booth and I recorded this version of the song at his studio for the LittleWalks New York children's video, and I'm not sure how long I'll be able to keep it up here but I thought it would be nice to make it available at least for a listen.

Besides being a great guy on all fronts, Jeff's an amazingly talented musician and someone that I'd like to nominate for sainthood right now for all his patience with my never-ending struggle to find the "right note." (Check out Jeff and his brother Dwayne's music here)

My favorite part of this song is the instrumental break. After we figured out the backwards guitar lead and Jeff kindly let me play it, he added a beautifully complimentary guitar part using the e-bow. I couldn't be happier with the way the melodies snake around each other. Excellent.

For those interested in the playing credits: I played a couple of guitars, Jeff played some guitars, bass, tambourine and drum programming, and Tim Shea played some drumstuffs. I can't remember if we lifted the organ intro from my original demo or if Jeff played that fresh for this version. Oh well. Enjoy....

No comments: