December 10, 2006

one christmas for your thoughts

MP3: Silent Night (4.6 mb)

You know what? I love Christmastime. I love the Holiday Season. My spine tingles from all the bell sounds and the crispness of the air, and I know it's generally the last bright spot before another dreary Winter, so it's a good time to get in a last round of cheerfulness before the hibernation begins.

And what about the music?! So many great tunes covering so many different feelings in so many styles: the classic spirituals; the celebratory songs of gathering with family and friends in the cold; the lonesome and sad songs of being disconnected from the ones you love; the funny, catchy ones that make you laugh; those great obscure blues numbers about how everything's gone wrong. Anything you want, there's a Christmas song somewhere about it. It's gotten to the point where I even enjoy watching carolers! (Am I mad?)

Now you can tell me how you're sick of all the bogus Holiday cheer, and how it's become too commercialized, and the original joy of giving has been overtaken by the joy of getting. You can even tell me you don't believe in Jesus so what's the point.

Well, I'd say just try this: forget all that and just be happy for a moment (it's something you do, you know, not something you are). Don't worry about how anyone else is treating Christmas, just consider it a fine excuse to smile for a minute. Trust me, there's a lot more to be troubled about in this world than to get bogged down about a Holiday....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

i don't think you have any comments because we are in shock. what are you trippin' on? i want some.
julie

Anonymous said...

I agree. I haven't believed in religion for a long time but still love Christmastime.

You are right on the money!